Autumn in Kruger: Shingwedzi, April 2014

After entering at Phalaborwa Gate in the early morning of 26 April 2014, our most recent visit to the Kruger National Park kicked of with three nights at our beloved Shingwedzi Rest Camp, in the far north of the Park.

Rocky outcrop near Phalaborwa Gate

Rocky outcrop near Phalaborwa Gate

Sunrise on the Mphongolo Loop

Sunrise on the Mphongolo Loop

When it comes to game-viewing we’ve always maintained that Shingwedzi does not need to stand back for any of the more popular camps in the southern half of the Park, and this latest visit served only to reinforce our opinion. We had excellent sightings while driving slowly along the Shingwedzi River, both in the direction of Tshange Viewpoint to the west along the S52-route, and towards the Lebombo’s in the east, along the S50 (our favourite Kruger drive) that skirts the Kanniedood Dam (or what is left of it after the January 2013 floods).

Despite the autumn season being in full swing, with most of the summer migrants having already left for warmer climes, the birdlife around Shingwedzi did not disappoint either!

Even if there were no wildlife around to keep us enthralled, Shingwedzi’s scenery alone would have been worth the trip.

Our accommodation at Shingwedzi, unit 29, was built in 1956 in the traditional white-washed Shingwedzi-style, and is a very comfortable little two-bedroomed cottage, ideal for our group of four (we were joined on the trip by my mom, a real treat and even more so for Joubert having his granny by his side for nine days in a row).

There’s few places where the hustle-and-bustle of daily life seem so far away as at Shingwedzi, and it was an excellent start to our eight-day autumn visit to the Kruger National Park. From Shingwedzi we moved to the central regions of the Park, basing ourselves at Orpen Rest Camp.

Advertisements

34 thoughts on “Autumn in Kruger: Shingwedzi, April 2014

1. de Wets Wild Post author

Thanks for the kind words Swoosieque! We’ve long thought about Shingwedzi as being “Heaven on Earth”, and we’re glad to know we could convince at least one other person of that too 😀

1. kanzensakura

I am always astounded at the powerful beauty and yet, the very gentle beauty of Africa. I think now, if anyone gave me the opportunity and the money, I’d ask you about the best places to visit and then have them make the arrangments for me so I could see all this. I do thank you and your family so much for you no holds barred sharing of this beauty.

2. Pingback: Autumn in Kruger: Orpen, April 2014 | de Wets Wild

3. SPFischer

What an incredible journey you just took me on! I laughed out loud at the giraffe – the angle of his head gave him the most endearing quizzical look. And the nighttime sky was brilliant (no pun intended). The abundance of wildlife just astounds! Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

4. jamespage358

Definitely time for us to get back to Shingwedzi, but don’t know how we’re going to fit it in. But can’t really complain. We’re booked up to March next year when we spend 11 nights in the Kagaligadi. Before then we go to Hluhluwe-Imfolozi and Sodwana, Europe, back to the Pilanesbeg and then 10 days in the south of the Kruger Park.
    In the meantime we’ll enjoy the Shingwedzi area through you stunning pictures. My favorites the big and the small, the elephants and the Paradise Flycatcher. My other favorite animal has to be the rhino

1. de Wets Wild Post author

Sounds like you have an absolutely jam-packed travel calendar for the next ten months James, and there’s some dream destinations in that itinerary! We’ll look forward to your trip reports and photographs over the coming months.

Thanks for another kind contribution, we really do appreciate your support!

5. M-R

I surely will ! – can hardly wait. I just love these posts of yours, with their wonderful photos. You guys rock, you really do. 😀

6. cjjustice1

I’ve been away from WP for awhile, but am so glad to find my favorite bloggers once again. You always deliver with such beautiful, breath-taking photos of the wildlife, the flora, & the other nature scenes. Thank you for sharing your gift, and your country! How special that your mom could join with you! I’m sure that was indeed a special time for you all! 🙂

7. kanzensakura

I am s glad you take us on your journeys with you all. We had 6 cheetah cubs born this past winter at our zoo. A few weeks ago they were introduced to the public in their natural area. I am always astounded at the speed and beauty of these supernaturally beautiful creatures. You share so much with us, I had to share this with you all. it is an extraordinary event for us and we are so proud.

1. de Wets Wild Post author

We’re only too grateful to have passionate people like you taking part with us Kanzensakura!

Fantatsic news about the cheetah cubs! Cheetahs are extremely rare and so these six extra individuals is a healthy boost to the population. And we agree, they are beautifully lithe and athletic!

1. kanzensakura

they make me smile. they had a live feed when they were born and the first 3 months of their lives so you could watch them. now there is a limited feed camera to watch them run and play. I know they are wild animals and should be treated as such, but oh, how I would love to touch one. but not allowed.

Please don't leave without sharing your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s